Metal - Aluminum
What is it
6061 grade Aluminum.
This is a medium strength alloy possessing good ductility and therefore good formability. Aluminium alloy 6061 is known for work hardening rapidly and is readily weldable. It also possesses high corrosion resistance particularly in marine environments.
Orders using this material generally ship in around 2 weeks. Find out more.
The fabrication process for metal is different from all our other materials - as such there are a few important points to note:
- We won't be able to apply Prime discount pricing to metal orders.
- Getting your metal pieces cut may take longer than standard orders. If you want to make designs on other materials as well, we would recommend placing the metal order separately.
- Please read things you must know for laser cutting metal before starting your project as there are some specific design requirements for this material.
- You cannot share cutting lines.
- Etching or engraving is not possible with metal laser cutting.
- Parts must be bigger than 0.4x0.4" / 10mm x 10mm.
- Parts must have a 0.25” / 6mm separation in your design file.
- Designs should not have features smaller than 0.02” / 1mm.
- All parts must be defined with closed paths.
- Parts may be tagged into the surrounding waste material.
- You may not receive the waste material.
- Parts will have slightly radiused corners.
- It's common for the back side for the material to get scratched as it lays on metal grates while it's being cut.
Adhesives, joints & fastenings
Aluminum is best connected with mechanical fastenings or welding.
A two part epoxy may be used to stick metal to other materials. For more info about gluing metal see this site