Metal - Stainless Steel
What is it
304 grade Stainless Steel.
This is the most versatile and most widely used stainless steel, available in a wider range of products, forms and finishes than any other. It has excellent forming and welding characteristics.
Laser cutting stainless steel is great for relatively simple designs like electronic housings or lamp shades. If you want to make jewelry or something with intricate cut-outs or engraving, your design might be better suited to a new metal fabrication technique we are trialling called Photochemical Machining (PCM). The formatting requirements are slightly different for PCM so see here for the guide.
Orders using this material generally ship out within 2 weeks. Find out more.
The fabrication process for metal is different from all our other materials - as such there are a few important points to note:
- We won't be able to apply Prime discount pricing to metal orders.
- Getting your metal pieces cut may take longer than standard orders. If you want to make designs on other materials as well, we would recommend placing the metal order separately.
- Please read things you must know for laser cutting metal before starting your project as there are some specific design requirements for this material.
- You cannot share cutting lines.
- Etching or engraving is not possible with metal laser cutting. (see PCM)
- Parts must be bigger than 0.4x0.4" / 10mm x 10mm
- Parts must have a 0.25” / 6mm separation in your design file.
- Designs should not have features smaller than 0.02” / 1mm.
- All parts must be defined with closed paths.
- Parts may be tagged into the surrounding waste material
- You may not receive the waste material
- Parts will have slightly radiused corners
- It's common for the back side for the material to get scratched as it lays on metal grates while it's being cut.
Adhesives, joints & fastenings
Stainless steel best connected with mechanical fastenings, soldering, brazing or welding.
A two part epoxy may be used to stick metal to other materials. For more info about gluing metal see this site.