Cost: $14.95 each
Description: This is for all those starving students that need to buy their first good, low-cost multimeter. This meter has really impressive overall feel for being so low-cost. We've played with a lot of cheap-o DMMs and found that this unit's function selector has a great, solid, clicking feel to it. This unit has good continuity (rare for low-cost units), and decent probes. We even left a meter on to test the battery life - it lasted more than 170 hours (7 days) before the included 9V gave out!
This multimeter does all the standard functions of lower cost meters, but here are the main reasons we like this multimeter:
- Loud continuity sound (many meters do not even have continuity)
- Current/Voltage sense
- Battery included
- Very solid clicking feel to the function selector
- Decent quality probes (not great, but they'll hold up for years)
- Strong connection from meter to probe
Things that this DMM is lacking:
- No auto-power off
- No auto-ranging
- No frequency measurement
- DC Voltage - 200mV/2V/20V/200V/600V
- AC Voltage - 200V/600V
- DC Current - 200uA/20mA/200mA/10A
- Resistance - 0 to 20M Ohm
- Continuity Buzzer
- Diode Test
- Max display: 1999
We believe you can't beat it for the price - so we decided to carry it!
Be sure to read our How to Use a Multimeter tutorial to find out how to properly use a meter (as if there was a standard way!).
And if you blow the 200mA fuse (I do all the time) you can get a replacement fuse here.
Note: This meter works well for measuring very small amounts of current. Check here for a tutorial.